Position Title: Substance Use Counselor
Department: CARE Center/Family Shelter
REPORTS TO: CARE Center Director
Position Type: Full Time
AGENCY: GRIP is an interfaith, multi-cultural coalition of 41-member congregations – Christians, Catholics, Protestants, Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, and Sikhs – working together to address critical issues of human dignity and social justice in West Contra Costa County. For over 50 years GRIP has been providing services and shelter to the Contra Costa homeless population. We currently operate three core programs serving homeless families.
GENERAL PURPOSE. Under supervision of the CARE Center Director, the Substance Use Counselor will provide one on one substance use counseling, facilitate groups and self-sufficiency services needed to enrich families and individual consumers who receive services int eh Care Center and reside at the GRIP Shelter. In collaboration with the Coordinated Entry System of Contra Costa County, services rendered will assist individuals and families address matters involving complex trauma, homelessness, substance use and low socioeconomic complications.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES. In general, the CARE Center Substance Use Counselor is responsible for assessment of consumers identified to receive services related to Alcohol and other Drug (AOD) Services. Substance Use Counselor will also work collaboratively with the consumers to identify needs, appropriate support the consumer to access benefits, services, and support to overcome use of substances along with addressing and additional needs and the tools needed to become self-reliant. Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
- Conduct Individual assessment, treatment planning, facilitation of groups, discharge planning,
- Provide Adult individual counseling, adolescent individual counseling, parent-child counseling and family collateral services.
- Provide Services and/ or make referrals to support Parent consumers with wellness and life-skills education group, adolescent wellness and life-skills education group.
- Coordinate with other health, social, mental health and educational services, to ensure Continuum of care addressing: Assessment, psychiatric management, domestic violence assessment, adult trauma therapy, adult or children’s mental health, and adult substance use treatment.
- Work collaboratively with consumer and treatment team in efforts to identify and construct a treatment plan, which addresses, holistic needs of the consumers
- Inform and maintain the rights of the consumer along with any cultural or special needs
- Provide services incorporating evidence based practices and additional therapeutic and strengths based, harm reduction strategies.
Associate of Arts Degree in social services or a related field from an accredited college.
Certification: minimum certification Alcohol Drug Counselor (CADC-I)
Two or more years of full-time, verifiable, experience working with homeless and/or very low-income clients.
Additional years of experience, as outlined above, may substitute for the education on a year-for-year basis.
1. Must pass a criminal, driving background, and fingerprint background check.
2. Experience using Microsoft Office Suite, or equivalent, particularly Word and Excel, preferred.
3. Must be sensitive to client and volunteer needs and be able to manage multiple priorities.
4. Must conform to HIPPA regulations regarding client confidentiality.
5. Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work with and support diverse faith communities.
6. Effectively communicate with and relate to diverse, multi-ethnic, homeless, and low-income adults and children with multiple barriers.
7. Knowledge and awareness of City of Richmond/Contra Costa County programs and services a plus.
8. Committed to the mission of the Greater Richmond Interfaith Program.
We are an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer.
Women, minorities and workers with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
- This is a Benefited Position.
APPLICATION: Email current cover letter, and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org